Combining My Love of Quilting and Nature

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Another Challenge

Another challenge our art quilt group had recently was to make a quilt based on connections.  Once again, I really had no idea on how to approach the topic, but I finally came up with the concept of a jigsaw puzzle.  And tied up with the concept of the connected pieces of the jigsaw puzzle was the idea of connecting with things that could help our environment.
 I ended up having a lot of fun figuring out the pattern for the jigsaw (I really enjoy the "figuring out" part of designing) and then I digitized the blue part of the quilt with designs that remind us of ways to make our our world a better place--Such as Compost Your Yard Waste, Rethink Bottled Water, Buy Locally, Brush Without Running Water, Plant A Tree.  And I named the quilt Traveling.
Around the edge of the puzzle, I wrote this saying:  "Consider this:  We are all traveling on the Mother Ship.  And . . .together we can preserve it for future generations."
I know that many feel that it is already too late to turn things around--and that may be the truth, I don't know.  However, if we sit back and do nothing then, for sure, it will be true.  I look at this quilt everyday in my studio and everyday I am reminded of what I have and have not done and, hopefully, am more mindful of my own part in finding a solution rather than being part of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment