Combining My Love of Quilting and Nature

Thursday, November 3, 2016

We ARE The World

Although I like to tell myself that I am ALWAYS aware of how I should live in order not to take more from this world than is my portion,  I know that that isn't always true.  I think we all make allowances for things we THINK are necessary.   However, I've had to put quite a bit of thought into these issues lately as our area of the country has dealt with a worsening drought and gas shortages.  Figuring out how my personal choices can lessen the impact of my figurative footprint on the environment often calls for creativity and a willingness to rethink how I live.
So I guess all this thinking has led to my current work-in-progress.  I don't usually have a complete vision of a quilt before I actually begin to work.  Most often, it's a design for the center and then I sort of intuit it as I work outward.  But one morning this week, I woke up with a complete idea and was excited to get to work.  This was especially great because, ever since I finished my last quilt, I haven't been motivated to do anything original.  I've had a couple of ideas but they haven't made it past the thought  stage.  I've done several charity quilts--and there's certainly nothing wrong with that--but that's been about all.
The idea that came to me was about our place on the earth and our responsibility for its survival.


This is what came to me.  My husband--as always--helped me with some of my refinements.  I had had the girl holding both a clock and the earth and he said, "Why not make the earth be on the face of the clock?"  Sounded good to me.  He also suggested I change the alarm bells to the present choice.  I love to get his suggestions because he is almost always point on.








And this is the girl.





And the, finally, the girl with the world clock.  There is more to come, of course, but I think it's a pretty good beginning.














No comments:

Post a Comment