Combining My Love of Quilting and Nature

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Snowflake Class

I don't often take classes anymore but when I learned that Susan Brubaker Knapp was coming to our Guild, I signed up right away.  I have admired her work for quite a while and I knew for sure that I would learn something new from her.  And I did--lots of things, actually.  Most of them small--but it's often the small things that make our quilting life more exciting, aren't they?
The class that she was teaching was thread sketching and the graphics were snowflakes (kind of appropriate this week with the onset of cold weather).

This is her class sample.  She had a bit to say about the direction of the wind on the snowflakes which you'll see shortly that apparently to which I didn't pay close enough attention.
In order to draw the graphics onto our DARK fabrics, we used a Lightbox.  For the most part, that worked pretty well but many of us (including me) had to sort of fill in the details because we couldn't see the individual lines very clearly.  I viewed that as an asset really because we each ended up with a more individual piece that way.



Susan is one of the best teachers that I have ever had the pleasure of learning from.  She is totally accessible to each student and has a giving personality.  She has spent a LOT of time honing her craft and developing her style and she shares the result of that time spent with her students.  As a teacher myself, I found it very inspiring.   
AND . . .she brought lots and lots of quilts.  Not only is she good but she's also prolific!

 And here are the results of my time in her class. Not only do I seldom take classes, but even more seldom do I finish the class sample.  This one, I did and I had a grand time doing it.  And note the difference in how my wind sketching doesn't blow against the snowflakes.   Oh well.  Another lesson learned.




No comments:

Post a Comment